My doctor told me at my 36 week appointment on Monday that my baby seems to be measuring “small for dates” and asks me to schedule an ultra-sound to check on his size and development. After she gives me this news, she decides to engage me in small chat about how Mark Zuckerberg, creator of Facebook, is ruining our youth by creating a social platform in which they no longer need to communicate face to face with people. Okay Dr. S…we can talk about the societal impact of social media on our youth another time. I just want to know that my baby is okay. Thanks.
The earliest appointment I was able to schedule was three hours later, during which time I was the calmest I’ve ever been (note the sarcasm). Thankfully, my mom happened to plan a spontaneous visit down to Dorchester that day, so she was a comforting distraction while I waited for Greg to pick me up to head back to the hospital for the scan.
The best part of the day was the ultra-sound, because it was the first time in weeks that we got to see our little guy! The technician took a whole bunch of measurements to estimate his weight and to estimate the level of amniotic fluid. After the scan was complete, Greg and I were asked to return to my doctor’s office to discuss the results. Once again my nerves settled back in, and my thoughts wandered and worried. Surely something on the scan must have triggered them to want to talk to us right way?!
Dr. S said that the scan confirmed that the baby is “small for dates” measuring in the 8th percentile for his gestational age. Here is a quick summary of what she told us:
– Estimated to weigh about 4 lb 9 oz, and “should” weigh about a pound more than that at 36 weeks.
– Amniotic fluid levels are low/normal which is a safe level, but “could” indicate blood flow issues if it gets even lower.
– Scored 8/8 on biophysical profile, which means all organs are working properly and there are no blockages.
Dr. S suggested that since I’m a small person, the baby could just be small, and that’s perfectly fine. However, they want to monitor his measurements and my amniotic fluid level on a weekly basis. As such, I’ll be getting an ultra-sound and a non-stress test every Monday. If my amniotic fluid levels get even lower, they will discuss inducing me, but she assured me that this would only be her recommendation if the baby’s safety was in question. In order to help my fluid levels to increase, she said to lay on my side as much as possible to increase blood flow.
How do I feel about all of this? Based on the results that Dr. S shared with us, it seems to me that our baby is perfectly healthy. Research also shows that ultra sounds are not entirely accurate when it comes to estimating measurements and amniotic fluid levels. Imagine looking up into the bottom of a clear tub full of water and trying to measure how much water is in that tub. Kind of tough, right?
What is my biggest fear? I really do not want to be induced. Especially since I don’t entirely trust the reason that they would be giving me an induction. If the doctors say that I need to be induced to ensure the safety of our baby then of course I will do it. It’s just that I’m planning on having a natural childbirth without any medical interventions, so Pitocin (the drug used to induce) would definitely put a hitch in that plan.
So I’d like to ask a favor from you all! Please keep me and baby Cole in thoughts and prayers and think positive thoughts about the results from our scan on Monday. In the meantime, I will be in bed resting up and drinking a lot of fluids. As I’ve mentioned in a previous blog post, being this still is not in my nature, but I will do anything to keep our little angel safe!
Finally, for your viewing pleasure, I’ve posted a picture below from the ultra sound. Next to the ultra sound photo is a picture of Greg when he was 2 months old. See the resemblance? I do! I keep closing my eyes and thinking about the moment I will reach out my arms and hold Cole for the first time. We are so close 🙂